22 Mar 2010

Waterside D

Sunday was my first training trip for the Devizes to Westminster Canoe Race. Am I worried that it is only 2 weeks away and I have only spent 5 minutes in a K1? To the uninitiated a K1 is a fast, unstable, uncomfortable, light weight 1 man kayak; think of it like a unicycle with racing tyres. I am not worried because I have got the easy job - part of the support crew.

Louis and I left Dorset at 4am on Sunday morning to get to the start of the Waterside D race in Devizes. After we had arrived I wandered around the Wharf car park watching all the crews prepare, amazed at the number of people mad enough to get up this early to get wet and cold on a Sunday.


My job is basically to be in the right place at the right time with food and drink. Meeting Louis at various points between Devizes and Newbury. So having had a bacon sandwich and watch my crew (see how I have picked up the lingo) set off I left for my first met up point.

Tan Hill - Wiltshire Downs

During the day I watch some amazing displays of endurance, most impressive were the Junior crews (under 19s). However as I only meet up with Louis every 2 hours or so I missed some of the excitement like being attacked by a swan, nearly crashing into the side of Savernake Tunnel and being "on the rims" after 28 miles.

I am really looking forward to the big race now, particularly camping in Newbury Leisure centre car park. Eat your heart out Andy Howell.

No comments:

Post a Comment